Sunday, June 19, 2011

home sweet home cafe

When I packed up and left Lubbock, Texas for the much greener pastures of Portland, I assumed I could easily find a replacement for my favorite restaurant, Home Cafe. Portland has a reputation for being a foodie mecca, and I have found some crazy delicious food, but nothing quite like the down-home gourmet style (by which I mean chicken sandwiches with red pepper aioli - I think the aioli separates gourmet from non!) I found daily at Home Cafe. And, their mac and cheese is just TO DIE FOR. I'm a picky eater, but I always found something on Home Cafe's daily rotating menu that I would love. Asparagus soup? Done. Layered enchiladas? Delicious. Mac and cheese? Don't touch mine, or I will fork you.

I've been craving the hell out of that mac and cheese recently. No recipe I've found online compares to the thick, rich, gooey, stick-to-the-roof-of-your-mouth amazingness that I ate multiple times a week (when I found an apartment literally around the corner from Home Cafe, I didn't hesitate before moving in. I could pick up a to-go order in minutes at lunch. I am kind of nuts about this place. And the leftovers!!)

So, yesterday I wrote them a somewhat crazed email asking for the recipe. I figured it was kind of a long shot, but I haven't been back to Lubbock since Xmas '09, and I just couldn't handle the mac n cheese deprivation anymore. And, much to my delight and surprise, I got a very nice email from Rachel, the Home Cafe manager! I was so stunned that she was willing to share the recipe. I expected it to be some closely-guarded secret passed down from someone's sweet grandmother and unavailable to requesters (even those offering their firstborn, like I did).

Photobucket

It came out FANTASTICALLY. It was as close to the original as I can remember. Thick, creamy cheese sauce coating the macaroni noodles, with no extra spices or seasonings needed. I knew it came out right when I saw the light catch the cheese sauce. So glorious.

Photobucket

It was a big hit with Geoff, whose favorite food is mac and cheese! I'm so glad he got the chance to experience one of my favorite dishes I have ever had, ever. (Please also note the owl mug.)

If you live in Lubbock, and you haven't been to Home Cafe, I don't know what's wrong with you. Any place that is rad enough to share a recipe with an ex-resident earns my undying love and loyalty. If you live in Portland, you should invite me to your next potluck. And if you live anywhere else...take a trip to Lubbock, just for the food! Seriously!

Home Cafe, I love you guys. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment