Thursday, July 28, 2011

gluten-free log, hour 56

I went with my super cool friends Aundria and Rachel to the People's Food Co-op last night - it's an awesome place, with tons of bulk items. Sitting outside sippin' on smoothies from Sip, a dude approached us with a huge Rubbermaid bin, and offered leftover pretzel buns. Really? Worst timing ever, dude. Aundria took one and, I confess, interwebs - I had a nibble of a corner. Just enough to whet my appetite for gluten again. While my super cool friends enjoyed this pretzel bun right in front of me, I simmered in sullen silence (by which I mean, I vocalized my hatred of them...I take gluten seriously, interwebs.) So then I got proactive and Googled "gluten-free soft pretzels," and lo and behold, the interwebs is full of recipes! I used this recipe for Jules Gluten-Free Soft Pretzels, and ran back into the co-op to search for ingredients. They only had Bob's Red Mill All-Purple Gluten-Free Flour, which was almost better, because 1) I love Bob's Red Mill; and 2) it's LOCAL! (Does it count if they are national? I don't care.)


I only made one revision to this recipe: I used yeast that had been expired for three years. Thank Geoff for that one. The pretzels came out ok, but I would still use unexpired yeast next time, because it's really hard to purchase stuff that old anyway.

Oh, and I made another revision: Bob's Red Mill flour calls for xanthan gum. So I added a teaspoon of that to the dry ingredients. I also sampled a little bit of it dry, and it made my lips stick together.

Photobucket
Here are the little pretzel friends I made and then covered in olive oil. Yum!

Photobucket
Then I boiled my friends noooooooo

Photobucket
Then I baked them. The recipe warns not to overcook - this is for real, guys. I left them in there maybe a minute or two longer and they got shriveled. Keep a close eye on your pretzel friends!

I'm a fan of these, because the flour imparts a slightly nutty taste. And they have a really good texture. Would you guys believe it, this is my first foray into GF baking? I know, I'm kind of awesome.

2 comments:

  1. i just added way too much flour wondering why the heck the "dough" looked more like soup before realizing i'd forgotten the guar gum... hmmm... may have some superrrr thick pretzels on my hands in a few more minutes....

    ReplyDelete