Saturday, July 9, 2011

more unknitting

Rachel took me to this rad clothing swap a few weekends ago. I scored four sweaters and got right to work unravelling them. The first was this sweet lavender cashmere score, and the second was a periwinkle silk - both size large! Oh yeah.

cashmere
The cashmere sweater took about two full days to unravel, plus some time to reskein it for dyeing. It's really cathartic.

cashmere in pieces

cashmere in pieces

dye pot
After all that was done, it went into a pot to soak overnight, by which I mean all weekend while I was in Seattle.

add some red
I used some red and purple to enhance the original lavender, hoping for a plum/wine color. I think I achieved that.

winey purple-red
Here's the comparison shot. I didn't use any blue, at all, but there seem to be hints of it in the finished product.

winey purple-red
Perhaps it just seems more blue next to the red and purple? It's a really interesting effect. I don't like purple, but I like this color combo.

winey purple-red

I have three skeins, all 2 oz apiece of ultra-soft, super lightweight lace cashmere. $20 on etsy! Kind of a steal, if you compare it to virgin cashmere. And, it's all recycled and sustainable! Double bonus, I did not use any slave labor in unravelling. Unless you count myself. I'm a slave to yarn.

stretched
Blurry. But at least I'm not making a stupid face?

Now, the silk sweater is the real excitement here. I've never found a 100% silk sweater before. It's a strong fiber, and didn't break at all during the unravelling process. I was so impressed with it.

silk
(Well, I wasn't impressed with the sweater itself...just the fiber.)


It came apart so easily. It still probably took about two days, mostly due to the amount of fiber. I got nearly a whole pound of yarn from this beast!

a ball of silk, and a feast for crows
I was able to unravel while reading (A Feast for Crows, in case you were wondering, in anticipation of the upcoming release of A Dance with Dragons!)

the sleeve
The color is off on my phone camera. I swear, it's periwinkle!

silk skeins
Here's a more accurate representation of the color.

the soak
So this got thrown in a pot to soak, too. Although I had some trouble with this one. I didn't soak it long enough, and I didn't use enough vinegar (not by a long shot) so the first dye just washed right out. And when I say "right out," I mean it took three days to get all the color out. Oh, silk, you are so finicky.

sky blue
Comparison shot. There is not a whole lot of difference between the original color and the dyed yarn, but I enhanced the blue a little bit, and it has some purple/white shimmer in places.

sky blue
It's heavenly. Smooth, soft, cool to the touch. I think the color complements this nicely.

sky blue
The best part is, it's two-ply! So it's all doubly thick! (Sadly, it's not plied, so it's more comparable to holding the yarn double.)

This stuff is rad. I'm going to be sad to part with it. I have two 4 oz skeins and one 3 oz skein - $30 and $22, respectively. All the same dye lot. But you shouldn't need all three to make something awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this. I am in the process of un-knitting my first recycled yarn and am finding it really tedious. Do you have any tips for a first-timer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi plankface! you've just given me another idea for a yarn post. my tips would look like this:
    1) find a lot of tv to watch. you're going to be doing this a while.
    2) have a drink. or two. you don't need all your wits about you.
    3) always, ALWAYS wrap/wind into little balls as you unravel. otherwise, you'll end up with a ramen-noodle-esque mess on your hands, and will spend much more time sorting that out.
    4) patience! don't yank on the yarn, or you'll end up breaking it. just take it row by row, using a gentle but firm tug at the end of each row, if it seems unwilling to unravel. many sweaters have nice seams that "unzip" and leave you with huge pieces of continuous yarn, but it can be tricky to find those seams. that's a bit more involved!

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete