Tuesday, May 17, 2011

the epic sister post

My sister Libby came to visit over the weekend. She had never been to Portland, so we did some fun stuff!

(I thought I had much more exciting photos before I uploaded them, but I don't. I promised a Sister Post anyway, so here it is. Sorry if it's boring.)



Look at that delicious treat. We went to Pix not once, but twice. Best place in town for delicious desserts, and the most mouth-watering macarons I've had since that one I had in Paris. They put sparklers in our desserts but I didn't get a picture fast enough.

IMG_6342
This dude at the Saturday Market had a kitten in a satchel! He told us her name is Fig, and she is a Bengal Leopardcat, and that the breeder normally chargers $700. I would love a $700 cat that chills out in a pouch all day.

IMG_6351
Libby and Geoff had a brawl. Sequoia tried to stop it. Libby, stop punching! Love is enough!

IMG_6352
"We are haters"

The coolest part of the visit, I think, was a visit to the Portland Underground, aka the Shanghai Tunnels. I read about them ages ago in Chuck Palahniuk's book about Portland (how many other cities get books by Chuck? NONE), Fugitives and Refugees. We got the Saturday the 14th "special haunted tour" which seemed a lot creepier than it turned out to be. I guess I am kind of glad I didn't see any ghosts. I don't even know if I really believe in them, but the history of the area was really fascinating, and it was cool to hear peoples' stories of things they've seen and heard while down there. I highly recommend it, but the paranormal tour only happens on Friday the 13th/Saturday the 14th, or by special request.

IMG_6362
This is just an exit sign. No ghosts.

IMG_6368
THIS IS A GHOST or our tour guide.

IMG_6369
We had to go through this super creepy tiny door.

IMG_6372
Libby, in the second camera, in infrared. OH MY GOD SHE'S A GHOST.

IMG_6371
Opium den. Did you know the shanghai tunnels (which are not really tunnels) are pitch black except for a couple dim lights? It is hard to see, much less focus a camera.

IMG_6376
When dudes were shanghai'd in Victorian times, they threw them down in some cells and took their shoes. The ground was lined with glass and other sharp objects so that in the event that a prisoner did escape, they could find him by the trail of blood he left. These are shoes. Super creepy.

IMG_6385
These rocks sometimes reveal a ghostly apparition of a sailor boy when photographed. It didn't happen for me. :(

IMG_6387
A deadfall, placed at a bar, and used to whisk drunken young men away sight unseen and sell them into slavery.

IMG_6392
A creepy bricked-up window with no ghosts!


We went to Ikea where Libby got a little overwhelmed.


And then our uncle made us ham! Crazy delicious.


End of boring post.

3 comments:

  1. Libby visit! I can't believe I missed the greatest part of the trip, the tunnels of doom. My favorite part was the Doug Fir party, and next would be the Saturday ramble. Or perhaps all of the great eats. Oh yeah, it'd be all of the great eats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, Libby how will I experience sistersass now that you've resigned from FB?! Hope Texas is boring and filled with hobos ;)
    Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete