Monday, May 23, 2011

i made a sweater.

I finished this last night - by which I mean, this morning at work. I'm pretty excited with the finished product, considering a few concerns I had while working on it.

1) I noticed a lot of projects on Ravelry had extra bulges in the underarm. It seemed to me that the raglan increases (you'll see those, diagonally, from shoulder to armpit - it's a pretty fantastic, seamless way to join sleeves to a sweater) perhaps continued for too long, so I left off two of those.

2) The pattern called for 8 buttons, but since I have a shorter torso and I wanted to sweater to crop a little bit, 8 seemed like an awful lot. I'm really glad I used that many because the edge of the button band (which I felt should have been straight) inevitably scallops a bit, and the spacing of the buttons helps control that. Sweet!

a sweater for a kid.

3) People kept commenting that it "looks awful small; is that for a kid?" "No," I promised, "it will stretch some." I'm really surprised! It fits like a glove. I'm sure it will stretch slightly more when I wash it, but as of right now, I don't have any intentions to block it out. It doesn't need it. That's pretty exciting.

buttons
Yeah, I used blue thread to sew the buttons on. I can't resist accent colors!

scandal!
There's no sunlight in Portland right now. You'll have to make due with a dark photo.


The pattern is Wendy Bernard's Favorite Cardigan. It took me three weeks to knit, and that is a relatively slow pace! This is probably the first sweater I've made that I actually see myself wearing, from a style, comfort and craftsmanship standpoint. Which says a lot. I've made a few sweaters.

3 comments: