Saturday, May 28, 2011

extracting vanillas

My best friend Chelsea of many innumerable talents shared this recipe with me recently, from Cooks Illustrated:

"To make vanilla extract, split a fresh bean lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Place the seeds and split pod in a 1 cup sealable container. Add 3/4 cup hot vodka (we used Smirnoff--a premium brand is not necessary) and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Seal the container and store at room temperature for one week, shaking gently every day. Strain the extract, if desired, and store in a cool, dark place. The extract should keep indefinitely."

I noticed immediately that the recipe produces 3/4 cup of extract (or so it seems; I don't imagine it will evaporate or thicken very much?) This is a great deal for people like me, who are "on a budget" and don't want to spend $6 for a tiny bottle of vanilla extract. And, since I always seem to have vodka on hand, this seemed perfect!

Photobucket
Vanilla beans were on sale at Bob's Red Mill today for $2 apiece. I love bulk foods. Add to that some inexpensive local vodka, and you've got a party!

Photobucket
A split vanilla bean. Interesting. Also, now my fingers smell fantastic.

Photobucket
I scraped out the seeds using the flat edge of my knife, and threw that shit into a jar. I didn't have a 1 cup container so I improvised.

Photobucket
Since this jar of brown rice syrup has not had brown rice syrup in it for some time, I started to peel the label off but then I lost interest. This stuff looks kind of gross from the side.


Anyway! So in a week I should have vanilla extract, or perhaps I just wasted 3/4 cup of vodka. Either way, I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment