Monday, May 16, 2011

the plant post

When I was like 9 or 10, I wanted to grow a garden. I was thinking big, like watermelons and other large, time- and space-consuming plants. My dad compromised by getting me a window box and packets of herb seeds. I forget what I had specifically, but I like to think it was parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme (ha). Anyway, they grew like crazy! I decided I had a green thumb. But the herbs never got eaten, and the next plant I tried to grow, my sister stepped on, so I gave up the dream for a while. Then, Rachel, Brandi and Lisa, who had formed the Portland Ladies' Garden Club, invited me to come plant seeds with them. I thought, "I am the best seed-grower I know," which should go to show that I must not know a lot of people. I picked out some cherry tomato and basil seeds, and immediately began craving pasta sauce. And I planted them in the meantime.

IMG_6066
We planted them in empty egg cartons, and after about 10 days, started to get sprouts. I was pretty amazed at the power of a tiny little seed. The tomatoes shot up really big and really fast. (And, I know, maybe someday I will get the focus right.)

IMG_6069
Here are some basils.

IMG_6404
A few weeks later, they were tall enough to divide into their own pots. Here are my tomatoes and a couple basils, just before repotting a second time. They are so big!

IMG_6405

IMG_6406
After being repotted: I read somewhere that when your tomato sprouts start growing their third set of leaves, you cut off the bottom two and replant the entire stem so that it can grow a stronger root base. I only cut off the bottom set of leaves, because I was afraid they were going to look naked. And, if the plant on the right doesn't make it, that's because I accidentally snapped the stem. I'm horrible.

IMG_6407
So ideally in about 100 years I will get some tomatoes. I'm pretty impressed with these little guys, considering how they appear to be doing with such little sunlight and also indoors. But maybe plants at 5 weeks should look a little bigger? Until someone proves me otherwise, I'm still the best seed-grower I know. So there.


Soon: the epic Sister Visit post.

2 comments:

  1. These tomatoes will be perfectly aged at 100 years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for stepping on your plant.
    hurry up with the epic sister post!

    ReplyDelete