Monday, May 9, 2011

this cannot be a how-to...

...unless you really want to know how to make lots of mistakes.

Case in point: the sweatervest from hell. It took months to knit up, and when I was done, I had to cut holes for the neck and arms. And only after that did I think it might be a good idea to measure the thing.

first attempt

The orange lines are where I made the cuts! Except, the overall length was supposed to be 22", and mine was 29". Like me, you might think, "Jenna, clearly you did not follow the instructions." But I did, except for this one part where the pattern said "check your gauge."

Did you know that not all people knit alike? I didn't. I thought if I used the right weight of yarn, and the right needle size, and followed all the directions, that I would end up with a carbon-copy of everyone else's vest.



The outline of this chart is the original pattern. The orange highlighter is the drastic alterations I had to make.

steeking second attempt
And here are the cuts.



And, the final result, on my best friend, looking awesome.


I make mistakes DAILY. But most of them can be fixed. I learned some lesson from this sweatervest about gauge, but I still don't check it all the time. And I use the wrong weight of yarn, if I want. And, I leave out the celery in my soups if I want. And, sometimes I don't wear a seat belt. I never said I was a role model.

3 comments:

  1. hey that turned out to be a pretty good sweatervest. too bad sweatervests are not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad Libby's just jealous because she doesn't have an amazing sweatervest. Haters gonna hate

    I am glad to have made a cameo in this spectacular blog post. I hope to make more guest appearances in the future.

    And maybe you should leave the celery in soups! It is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete